[Monotone-devel] Re: "mtn: error/misuse: detected at ..."

From: Timothy Brownawell
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: "mtn: error/misuse: detected at ..."
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 00:16:47 +0000

On Sun, 2009-02-15 at 09:20 -0800, Zack Weinberg wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 8:13 AM, Timothy Brownawell <address@hidden> wrote:
> >> mtn: misuse: detected at ../S-vanilla/database.cc:3,855
> >> mtn: misuse: no database specified
> >>
> >> (I assume this came in with the error-handling branch.)  IMO this is
> >> not a desirable change.  It adds a line of text that you have to read
> >> past to get to the important part of the error message;  this text
> >> will not be meaningful to most users, and in any event is unlikely to
> >> be useful most of the time.
> >
> > We do want that available somewhere though, especially for cases where
> > the error turns out to be the kind that gives the "almost certainly a
> > bug" message... I guess making it always log it (instead of only with
> > --debug) would work just as well.
>
> Always log, sure; also, can we postpone printing it until we know
> whether the error is the "almost certainly a bug" type?  Or even just
> printing it *below* the actual error message would be a great
> improvement.

E() gives a friendly description, so file and line are only critical for
I(). So the I() macro can just make that part of the description it
generates, and the shared code can just always log file and line and not
otherwise care.

--
Timothy

Free (experimental) public monotone hosting: http://mtn-host.prjek.net