[Monotone-devel] Re: "mtn: error/misuse: detected at ..."

From: Timothy Brownawell
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: "mtn: error/misuse: detected at ..."
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2009 16:13:43 +0000

On Mon, 2009-02-09 at 12:15 -0800, Zack Weinberg wrote:
> I just noticed that current trunk monotone prints an extra line when
> it detects an error or misuse:
>
> $ ./mtn co
> mtn: misuse: detected at ../S-vanilla/database.cc:3,855
> mtn: misuse: no database specified
>
> (I assume this came in with the error-handling branch.)  IMO this is
> not a desirable change.  It adds a line of text that you have to read
> past to get to the important part of the error message;  this text
> will not be meaningful to most users, and in any event is unlikely to
> be useful most of the time.

We do want that available somewhere though, especially for cases where
the error turns out to be the kind that gives the "almost certainly a
bug" message... I guess making it always log it (instead of only with
--debug) would work just as well.

--
Timothy

Free (experimental) public monotone hosting: http://mtn-host.prjek.net