Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: line endings with 0.31

From: Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: line endings with 0.31
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 13:32:07 +0100 (CET)

In message <address@hidden> on Tue, 21 Nov 2006 04:07:26 -0800, Larry Hastings
<address@hidden> said:

larry> I should think the canonical form is obvious: an unadorned LF
larry> should be the eol character as stored in the repository.  That
larry> way it matches what C expects when you read it in as binary,
larry> and on UNIX you never have to do any conversion.  (Though you
larry> should still scan the file on every check-in and complain if
larry> its EOL convention doesn't match what you expected...)

The trouble with having canonical storage format in the database is
that a screwup is very hard to change, and basically just means that
you have kill the revision and start over with better values.  This
has already happened to some users, when they just defined
get_linesep_conv() like this (which, incidently, was an example in an
earlier revision of the manual, as I recall it):

        function get_linesep_conv(filename)
           return {'LF','CRLF'}
        end

The result was that binary files that happened to contain CRLF or CR
got screwed up, because those were changed to LF.

That's the main reason for my proposal, that the files (or deltas)
would always be stored with an absolutely minimum of internal changes
(none for any file that doesn't have an mtn:eol attribute, which would
then be the default), and it would be possible for the user to correct
any screwup with a minimum of hassle.

Cheers,
Richard

-----