[Monotone-devel] Re: line endings with 0.31

From: Bruce Stephens
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: line endings with 0.31
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 12:16:36 +0000

Larry Hastings <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

> I'm not sure what SVN using two separate values (one as a
> mime-type!)  buys them.

I believe the theory is that you could use different merging programs
for some types.  text/xml is the usual example, where you might have
an XML tree-merging program that worked better for such things than a
text-based merger.  I've no idea how useful that's been in reality.

> I think one setting with three possible values would be best: "it's
> binary", "it's text but don't do eol conversion", and "it's text,
> please do eol conversion".  From the above I take it it's possible
> to declare a file as binary-with-eol-conversions, which strikes me
> as an unintended consequence waiting to happen.

Yeah, probably.  However, I'd guess there's some value in storing EOL
properties separately from information you use when choosing how to
merge.  Whether MIME-type is the right thing to use for the latter I'm
not sure, but it's hard to argue strongly against.