Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Dumb Question

From: Bruce Stephens
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Dumb Question
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 21:49:13 +0100

Koen Kooi <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

> In an ideal gui one would use revert -r<rev> to go back in ancestry
> and update -r<rev> to walk down the family tree.

Maybe.  I think this use of revert was intended to allow arbitrary
<rev>, so it would work forwards and backwards (and sideways).

> Anyway, if monotone can do 'update -r<a long time ago>' it should be
> able to 'update' files in a similiar command, otherwise users could
> get confused.

If update did work in that way, I think it would cause confusion.  If
it didn't, then it probably should do.

Changing the contents of individual files is different to changing the
whole workspace (including its base revision and possibly default
branch).

Also "update -r<rev>" tries to keep existing changes to the workspace,
which is (I imagine) exactly the kind of thing you don't want to do
with "revert".

A restrictions version of "pluck" would do much what I imagine you'd
expect "update" to do.  I suspect that would be easily accepted and
understood by users.