Re: [Monotone-devel] Unix Attributes and Symlinks

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Unix Attributes and Symlinks
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2006 23:08:03 -0700

On Thu, Jul 06, 2006 at 01:54:27PM -0400, Daniel Dickinson wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Jul 2006 07:59:39 -0700
> Nathaniel Smith <address@hidden> wrote:
> > The attr support has been totally rewritten since whatever version
> > you're using; for that matter, so have 'add' and 'commit' :-) So hard
> > to predict if these problems are still there.  I'd be interested to
> > hear, though.
> >
> > How big a tree are you talking about, in terms of number of files and
> > total disk footprint?
>
> 1252 files and directories (including symlinks), ~27 MB in size.
>
> > You may find that turning on 'inodeprints' gives you a major speedup
> > in 'commit'.
>
> I'll have to try that, but it's the 'mtn get attr x' and 'mtn set attr
> x y' that are noticeably slow even on single files (at least a second
> per file), not the commit itself.

Okay, yeah, inodeprints won't help with that.  But it's still a bit
odd; 'attr get' and 'attr set' are both ~0.1s for me here, on
monotone's tree, which is ~1700 files and ~13 MB (though only the
former should matter for attr get/set, since it doesn't have to touch
any file content).  That's still maybe longer than you'd like, of
course.

It'd be interesting to see a profile of where monotone is spending its
time on those command, if you happen to have appropriate tools
available...

The real solution is to figure out what extensions would be needed to
move all of this inside monotone, of course.

Sentience can be such a burden.