Re: [Monotone-devel] Unix Attributes and Symlinks

From: Daniel Dickinson
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Unix Attributes and Symlinks
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 13:54:27 -0400

On Thu, 6 Jul 2006 07:59:39 -0700
Nathaniel Smith <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 06, 2006 at 03:37:03AM -0400, Daniel Dickinson wrote:
> > On Wed, 5 Jul 2006 17:20:04 -0700
> > Nathaniel Smith <address@hidden> wrote:
> > > Cool!  Aside from being useful themselves, this gives us a much
> > > more useful basis to talk about extensions to monotone to make
> > > this more elegant :-).
> > >
> > > Re: the "mtn-add" script -- have you seen the attr_init_functions
> > > hook table?  Is there any reason it doesn't work for you?
> >
> > I was originally trying to do this with the version of monotone in
> > debian 3.1 (sarge), which is rather old, and afaik didn't have
> > attr_init_functions.  I will try to try out using
> > attr_init_functions soon(ish).
>
> Oh my, that was added way back in 0.19... I very, very strongly
> recommend upgrading.

Oh, I upgraded to 0.26 in order to get this stuff to work the way I
wanted, in addition to some of the other new features.  So the problems
with speed are current (it was worse with the old version).

> > > Can you elaborate more on "monotone's attr get/set commands are
> > > painfully slow"?
> >
> > Doing an update of the attributes for /etc, /boot, /root,
> > and /home/sysadmin for a minimal install of debian (console only,
> > and only 'base' at that) takes at least twenty minutes on an
> > AMD-K6-2-500 with fast disks and 256 MiB RAM, and even longer on a
> > 604e/160 PowerPC with 96 MiB RAM.
> >
> > Doing an mtn commit or mtn add on the other hand only takes a few
> > minutes.
>
> The attr support has been totally rewritten since whatever version
> you're using; for that matter, so have 'add' and 'commit' :-) So hard
> to predict if these problems are still there.  I'd be interested to
> hear, though.
>
> How big a tree are you talking about, in terms of number of files and
> total disk footprint?

1252 files and directories (including symlinks), ~27 MB in size.

> You may find that turning on 'inodeprints' gives you a major speedup
> in 'commit'.

I'll have to try that, but it's the 'mtn get attr x' and 'mtn set attr
x y' that are noticeably slow even on single files (at least a second
per file), not the commit itself.

- --
And that's my crabbing done for the day.  Got it out of the way early,
strangle cute bunnies or something.   -- Michael Devore