Re: [Monotone-devel] Unix Attributes and Symlinks

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Unix Attributes and Symlinks
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 07:59:39 -0700

On Thu, Jul 06, 2006 at 03:37:03AM -0400, Daniel Dickinson wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Jul 2006 17:20:04 -0700
> Nathaniel Smith <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Cool!  Aside from being useful themselves, this gives us a much more
> > useful basis to talk about extensions to monotone to make this more
> > elegant :-).
> >
> > Re: the "mtn-add" script -- have you seen the attr_init_functions hook
> > table?  Is there any reason it doesn't work for you?
>
> I was originally trying to do this with the version of monotone in
> debian 3.1 (sarge), which is rather old, and afaik didn't have
> attr_init_functions.  I will try to try out using attr_init_functions
> soon(ish).

Oh my, that was added way back in 0.19... I very, very strongly
recommend upgrading.

> > Can you elaborate more on "monotone's attr get/set commands are
> > painfully slow"?
>
> Doing an update of the attributes for /etc, /boot, /root,
> and /home/sysadmin for a minimal install of debian (console only, and
> only 'base' at that) takes at least twenty minutes on an AMD-K6-2-500
> with fast disks and 256 MiB RAM, and even longer on a 604e/160 PowerPC
> with 96 MiB RAM.
>
> Doing an mtn commit or mtn add on the other hand only takes a few
> minutes.

The attr support has been totally rewritten since whatever version
you're using; for that matter, so have 'add' and 'commit' :-) So hard
to predict if these problems are still there.  I'd be interested to
hear, though.

How big a tree are you talking about, in terms of number of files and
total disk footprint?

You may find that turning on 'inodeprints' gives you a major speedup
in 'commit'.

"The problem...is that sets have a very limited range of
activities -- they can't carry pianos, for example, nor drink
beer."