[Monotone-devel] Re: monotone newcomer - several questions

From: Bruce Stephens
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: monotone newcomer - several questions
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 21:33:51 +0100

Dirk Hillbrecht <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

> - When I have my different projects, of course, all of them should be
>   reachable at the "main" server where a "monotone serve" process runs
>   continuously. However, there seems to be no way to let one server
>   serve multiple databases. My idea was to start one server per
>   project (= database) and each one to listen on a different port. Not
>   precisely what I would say to be"resource-friendly", but, hey, it's
>   version 0.19... Would this work? Any better ideas?

Use branches.  For example, the server running on venge.net serves two
branches net.venge.monotone and net.venge.monotone-viz (plus many
others); these are entirely separate codebases.

> [...]  Additionally, I would issue that stop/start trigger each
> night, as I suspect monotone not being guaranteed to be
> memory-leak-free. Correct?

I don't think there are any guarantees, but I think people have
servers running for weeks or months without problems.  (Indeed, the
long running of the servers has shown up more subtle problems in the
past.)  So I wouldn't do this without experimenting to see whether
it's necessary.

[...]

> - Is the communication during "sync" in some way encrypted?

As far as I know, no.  I think there's a TLS (or maybe ssh?) branch
somewhere around, although I don't know how up to date it is.

> - To allow someone to sync, I have to enable the user id in my
>   .monotonerc. Having several server processes serving different
>   databases, all servers share that settings. Any possibility to
>   constrain access for certain users to certain databases? Any plans
>   to put these settings into the databases themselves instead of that
>   configuration file?

Hmm.  I think you want to do things in terms of branches (or
collections) instead of databases.

[...]