Re: [Monotone-devel] Projects using monotone?

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Projects using monotone?
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 12:03:07 -0700

Thanks for your feedback!

On Wed, May 18, 2005 at 07:18:04PM +0200, Jean Pierre LeJacq wrote:
> * monotone is quite slow on certain operations. Committing a change to
> the cocoon branch can take 5 min on a beefy server.

Hmm, strange; in my tests, committing a change to the 2.6 kernel
source tree takes ~4s on my desktop.

Perhaps you need to turn on "inodeprints"?  (Make sure you have 0.19
installed, and run "monotone refresh_inodeprints" in your working
copies.)

> * We've had problems with merging though this is much improved. We
> sometimes have to merge by hand.

Ah, well, merging is definitely a work in progress, as you know if
you've been following the list :-)

> * Developing decent SCM policies based on the monotone approach takes
> some time if your team is used to something like CVS. For example, what
> constitutes a good component model for monotone? In CVS we used modules.
> We're experimenting with branches in monotone for this but still aren't
> sure if it we have the best approach.

Nod.  Be interested to hear your experiences/what you come up with.

> * Not having monotone integrated into an IDE turns many developers off.
> Many of our developers like the Eclipse CVS integration and find it
> painfully to have to use a CLI like monotone.

Well, people keep saying they want to write an Eclipse plugin for
it... hope they're listening... ;-)

> In the end we're using it mainly because it shows so much promise. Its
> still rough going sometimes.

Well, we'll try :-).  Thanks.

.i dei jitfa fanmo xatra