Re: [Monotone-devel] Bug in monotone lca

From: Wim Oudshoorn
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Bug in monotone lca
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 19:29:14 +0200

Timothy Brownawell <address@hidden> writes:

> On 5/19/05, Wim Oudshoorn <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> If you have the following revision graph:

>>                       /|\
>>                      B C D
>>                     / / \ \
>>                    / E   F \
>>                   / /     \ \
>>                  / G       H \
>>                 /  |       |  \
>>                 |  I       J  |
>>                 \ /        \ /
>>                  K          L
>>                  |          |
>>                  M          N
>>
>> and ask for
>>
>> monotone lca M N
>>
>> it will return A and not C.
>
> But A *is* the least common ancestor (M->K->B->A; N->L->D->A). That
> it's also an ancestor of a more distant common ancestor doesn't
> matter. Distances can be funny that way.

Ah, I interpreted the least common ancestor in a different way.

My interpretatio was:
   Look at all common ancestors, in this case (A, C)
   And take from all common ancestors the "latest", in this case
   "C".
[Ignoring for the moment that this in the general case this
 does not give a unique lca].

Apparently this is not the monotone interpretation.
So could you explain, or provide a pointer to,
what is the definition of lca?

Wim Oudshoorn.