[Monotone-devel] Re: Bug in monotone lca

From: Wim Oudshoorn
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: Bug in monotone lca
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 21:29:22 +0200

Nathaniel Smith <address@hidden> writes:

> On Fri, May 20, 2005 at 03:37:38PM +0200, Wim Oudshoorn wrote:
>> However in that case lcad has a bug :-)
>
> Err, yep, sounds like it.  Sigh.
>
>> I have database with this example (artifically constructed).
>
> I guess I should ask if you could turn it into an automated test case?
> Though part of me would rather just get on with throwing out lcad...

I can try.  But for this I need to find out how to write tests for
monotone, so don't expect it overnight.

>> At the moment I am trying to wrap my head around the merging problem as
>> well.  It is rather tricky and just creating a mathematical vocabulary
>> is already quite challenging.  I am writing everything down and
>> when it comes to a stage that I can draw some conclusions and can
>> be understood by more people than just me I will publish it.
>
> Yep.  You _are_ familiar with the precise cdv-merge work that Bram
> (and I, and others) have done?

No, except a short discussion that started with:

Bram Cohen: The new Codeville merge algorithm

Can be found on gmane:

   http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.revctrl/2

I haven't found anything detailed on codeville merge.
If there is anything else to read I am interested.

Also, reading that e-mail I was left with some
basic questions of what constitute a conflict and
when it will cleanly merge.  My impression was
that it will to easily merge changes, which I
would prefer to be flagged as conflicts.

Maybe I have to read this again and reply in that thread
with questions about the codeville merge algorithm.

But I think I am approaching it along a slightly different
line.  At the moment I restrict myself to the problem
of a single file containing a single character.
This seems already tricky enough.

Wim Oudshoorn.