Re: [Monotone-devel] Packets or Packet I/O no longer works?

From: ml-monotone
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Packets or Packet I/O no longer works?
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 06:19:51 +0200 (CEST)

On 18 Mai, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
> On Thu, May 12, 2005 at 07:33:01PM +0200, address@hidden wrote:
>> That would really be nice ... perhaps I should ask Nathaniel if it
>> could be possible to allow importing-without-discarding of
>> revisions that lack its parent. Not sure if this is possible or
>> even desirable, though ...
>
> Don't we at least spit out a warning when we throw out such
> revisions? If not, that should definitely be considered a bug...

I have checked right now with 0.19 and the only thing it says was:

 monotone: read 103 packets

No any warning was issued!

But what do you think by allowing to import incomplete revisions in
the past? If I import a full packets dump, at least the manifest and
the files would be there - ready to be checked out. But the revisions
parent wouldn't be here, so probably not all functions of monotone
makes sense in such a case. But at least checkout & checkin branching
and merging from that version could work, couldn't it?

If I had imported packets with delta contents, it could be imported
too but flagged as unusable. Perhaps (after a warning?) I could import
the missing revisions and all would be well.

Now the files & manifests are imported, but the revision and its certs
discarded. If the missing revision would arrive, I had to re-import my
discarded packets again to get the whole revision tree. If it were not
discarded, though ... ?

Another question in the same category (lacking parent revisions): How
would you handle this scenario?

- Suppose I develop a fine piece of software in my repository. One day
  I am finish to release 0.1 of it. So I announce it somewhere,
  provide tars and set up a branch for bug fixing of the 0.1 releases,
  with the intention to merge back before next release, like this:

  C - release.0_1.bugfixes
  |    |
  D    C'
  :   /
  : /

  Okkay, no problem so far. But now another guy like my software and
  offer help for the bug fixing. He would like to use monotone too but
  he wouldn't like to pull the whole DB from me, nor would I like to
  access all revisions.

  So I could setup a server only serving the release_0_1.bugfixes
  branch. But if he sync (via Netsync or packets I/O) he would end in
  getting nothing, because the parent revision of C (i.e. B) does not
  reside in his DB. So all he got would be total unusable for him.

Is there any way to organize a workflow like the one I described?
Allowing broken revision chain could solve that problem, couldn't it?

Thanks in advance.

Ciao,
Clemens.

--
Clemens Hintze  mailto: c.hintze (at) gmx.net