Re: [Monotone-devel] Packets or Packet I/O no longer works?

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Packets or Packet I/O no longer works?
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 13:50:55 -0700

On Thu, May 12, 2005 at 02:58:00PM +0000, Will Robertson wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-05-10 at 20:19 +0200, address@hidden wrote:
> > Today as Monotone does not support to import single revisions only if
> > the parent revision does not exists in importing database, the absence
> > of the -delta switch makes no sense anymore. In the past when Monotone
> > had no revisions but only manifests, you could import every single
> > manifest you like. To be sure you could import a full dump of a
> > manifest and it would be available in the target database regardless
> > if the ancestor manifest exists or not. But as mentioned, this is
> > impossible today! So do not use the full dump mechanism, it is
> > senseless.
>
> That's interesting:  I had stopped using Monotone for a while, and
> hadn't realised they'd intorduced such requirements -- I s'pose
> somewhere around when the NetSync protocol was developed, with it's
> smarter sync methods.

It's because of the addition of revisions and changesets, actually; it
used to be that we didn't actually track history in any strong way, so
if you gave it some disjointed pieces of history, then nothing
broke... any worse than it was normally broken, anyway :-).

Now we have a strong sense of ancestry, so you can't just have some
revisions, without also having their parents.

> So, does that mean if you try to import the same revision(s) more than
> once -- i.e if part of an exported packet -- the duplicated revisions
> will be ignored/skipped, and only the new revisions in that
> revision-chain will be imported?
>
> I mean: when importing, will it fail and stop importing if it hits a
> revision which is already in the repository, thereby not importing
> revisions that come after that duplicated one, or will it attempt to
> apply all the revisions in a packet?

It should import everything new and ignore everything old.  Most
operations in monotone are idempotent this way.

"Lull'd in the countless chambers of the brain,
Our thoughts are link'd by many a hidden chain:
Awake but one, and lo! what myriads rise!
Each stamps its image as the other flies"
  -- Ann Ward Radcliffe, The Mysteries of Udolpho