[Monotone-devel] Re: .mt-ignore and .cvsignore files

From: Peter Simons
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: .mt-ignore and .cvsignore files
Date: 12 May 2005 20:00:50 +0200

Emile Snyder writes:

 >> As an example, consider putting your home directory
 >> under revision control for files like ~/.profile or
 >> ~/.emacs.

 > Given that monotone is about versioning trees of files,
 > this seems kinda like twisting it out of it's groove to
 > me.

Actually, that's one of the main applications I use Monotone
for. ;-) I version and distribute the /etc config files on
different machines, my home directory, SSH keys, and whatnot
else with Monotone.

 > Is there a problem with just having a myconfigs project,
 > and symlinking; eg. ~/.emacs to
 > ~/myconfigs-workingdir/.emacs ? Seems cleaner.

There's not really a problem with that except for the fact
that some people (myself included) almost violently oppose
symbolic links. So does some software (like SSH).

Peter