[Monotone-devel] monotone update overwrites local changes

From: Robert Bihlmeyer
Subject: [Monotone-devel] monotone update overwrites local changes
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 19:52:52 +0200

Suppose I have two working copies A and B, and an unknown file F in
both. I then add A/F, commit this, and finally update B. monotone will
trample over the contents of B/F overwriting it with the version
committed from A/F. I don't think that's sensible behaviour, as update
should not be a destructive operation.

One option is to punt like CVS does and refuse to update unless B/F is
moved away. More useful would be to initiate a two-way-merge between
the repository version and what's already there. The latter is already
done when I do "monotone add B/F" before updating. (A middle-of-the-
road solution would be to punt with a reminder that one can either
move F away or add it to get merging behaviour.)

--
Robbe