Re: [Monotone-devel] monotone update overwrites local changes

From: Derek Scherger
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] monotone update overwrites local changes
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 20:47:56 -0600

>>One option is to punt like CVS does and refuse to update unless B/F is
>>moved away. More useful would be to initiate a two-way-merge between
>>the repository version and what's already there. The latter is already
>>done when I do "monotone add B/F" before updating. (A middle-of-the-
>>road solution would be to punt with a reminder that one can either
>>move F away or add it to get merging behaviour.)

How about just skip the file and keep going, perhaps with a warning like
"preserving existing file ...".

Then you can do status and diff, to see what state the offending file is
in, and revert it or commit it as a change to A/F or whatever else might
be sensible.

I had done something along these lines long ago on the ...noclobber
branch but that was never merged and has pretty much been clobbered
itsself by all the changes that have happened since.

Personally I would really like to have this functionality, perhaps
controlled by a hook to allow for.

        - clobber existing files
        - preserve existing files
        - fail on existing files

I also think that an option for checkout to do the same might be nice,
although 'echo $REV > MT/revision' can be used as a poor approximation.

Cheers,
Derek