Re: [Monotone-devel] monotone problem importing CVS

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] monotone problem importing CVS
Date: Fri, 6 May 2005 09:42:57 -0700

On Fri, May 06, 2005 at 10:16:56AM +0100, Mark Hagger wrote:
> Nathanial,
>
> It does indeed seem to have helped, although I'm slightly confused as
> the cvs_import command now seems to require I point it to a specific CVS
> module, rather than just the CVSROOT as the documention suggests, and as
> I tried with the previous version.

Ah, oops.  The documentation was wrong, and we hadn't noticed; just
fixed in mainline.

The underlying issue is some impedence mismatch between CVS's "trees
of versioned files" model and monotone's "versioned trees of files"
model; in monotone you always check out and commit a whole tree, so
when you import you have to pick which granularity that tree is at.  I
added that CVSROOT check on the theory that no-one ever really wants
that granularity to be "all the projects that were ever in this CVS
repo, including CVSROOT, etc." :-).

.i dei jitfa fanmo xatra