Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: 3-way merge considered harmful

From: K. Richard Pixley
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: 3-way merge considered harmful
Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 14:18:09 -0700

Nathaniel Smith wrote:

Trying to code tree rearrangement conflicts as textual conflicts
doesn't work; I spent a few weeks trying, when we were trying to
figure out how to do tree rearrangement in the first place.  You can
conflict on moves that have the same source, or you can conflict on
moves that have the same destination, but you can't detect both at
once... (and good luck with directories!)
Sorry, I'm not following this. I think you can represent tree transformations in text, but I'm probably permanently bent by thinking in clearcase terms for years.

Could you go over the problem here in a little more detail, please?

--rich