[Monotone-devel] Re: Branch naming conventions

From: Nathan Myers
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: Branch naming conventions
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 05:31:13 -0800

On Fri, Dec 10, 2004 at 12:18:56AM -0800, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
> [intentionally breaking threading.]
>
> On Thu, Dec 09, 2004 at 09:22:25PM -0800, Nathan Myers wrote:
> > (While we're on the subject of craziness, that reversed-domain-name
> > naming scheme was whacked when Java adopted it, and it's just as
> > whacked here.  Is there any actual use for making users reverse them
> > by hand?  Computers are much better at that sort of thing.)
>
> So you're proposing names like
>   changesets.monotone.venge.net
> which is a branch off of
>   monotone.venge.net
> ?  That seems even more confusing, at least to me?

It's something that you and every other programmer who might possibly
use monotone is very, very used to.  The only people who have ever
even seen the other are Java coders.  (Any of _them_ who don't think
it's whacked will be managers or Walmart stockboys soon enough.)

If you suggest using domain-name conventions, support domain-name
conventions.  If you don't want to support domain-name conventions,
suggest something else consistent.  (BTW, "Nathaniel Hawkins Smith"
is in domain-name order.  Has it always seemed terribly awkward and
confusing?)

Nathan Myers
address@hidden