[Monotone-devel] Branch naming conventions

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Branch naming conventions
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 00:18:56 -0800

[intentionally breaking threading.]

On Thu, Dec 09, 2004 at 09:22:25PM -0800, Nathan Myers wrote:
> (While we're on the subject of craziness, that reversed-domain-name
> naming scheme was whacked when Java adopted it, and it's just as
> whacked here.  Is there any actual use for making users reverse them
> by hand?  Computers are much better at that sort of thing.)

So you're proposing names like
  changesets.monotone.venge.net
which is a branch off of
  monotone.venge.net
?  That seems even more confusing, at least to me?

(It's not _our_ fault the domain name system is the only namespace in
the world[1] to write hierarchy backwards.)

-- Nathaniel

[1] Please don't email me counter-examples.

--
Details are all that matters; God dwells there, and you never get to
see Him if you don't struggle to get them right. -- Stephen Jay Gould