Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: user-friendly hash formats, redux

From: Matthew A. Nicholson
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: user-friendly hash formats, redux
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2004 21:29:07 -0600

Bruce Stephens wrote:
graydon hoare <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

I'm interested in experimenting with naming schemes which lend more
meaning and familiarity to monotone, and look "more boring"
(i.e. like CVS or SVN). I'd like to focus the discussion on that if
possible.

I'll grant that I might just be projecting my own "crazy programmer
beliefs" onto the general population (of programmers -- monotone's
target audience). if you can do a survey which demonstrates that I'm
wrong on this, go for it. but until then, I'm not going to spend any
effort on implementing/maintaining/fixing a word/phoneme system.

Here's a shellscript/awk hack that maps from a hash to a selector.
(This only works on revisions, so something else would be needed for
manifests and files.):

        % hash2selector 803dab12e227ddee67253a364175b04a664221dc
        net.venge.monotone/njs/2004-12-09T10:25:01

That's no shorter (actually it's longer), but it's less hairy than the
hash, I think.  (Obviously something built in would do error checking,
and include tags if there were any, etc.)  It suggests to me that
selector-based things might be friendly enough.

#!/bin/sh

monotone list certs $1 |
awk '/^Name  : .*$/ {sub(/^Name  : /, ""); kind=$0}
     /^Value : .*$/ {sub(/^Value : /, ""); cert[kind]=$0}
     END {sub(/@.*$/,"",cert["author"]);
     printf("%s/%s/%s\n", cert["branch"], cert["author"], cert["date"])}'

I like selectors too. They make sense, I think expanding them would be a good idea. How do you decide when you want a revision? What are you looking for? What will you use to refrence it? Name? Date? Author? Selectors could be expanded to handle all of those. I think also a system to give a particular revision a name might be good to. Like a special cert, so I could manually assign important revisions names. Just some thoughts, I had.

BTW, I don't like the bibblebabble stuff at all, and revision numbers seem kind of unnecessary to me, I don't mind the certs as long as there is a good way to look them up. Just some more thoughts...

Later.

--
Matthew A. Nicholson
Matt-land.com