[Monotone-devel] Re: user-friendly hash formats, redux

From: Bruce Stephens
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: user-friendly hash formats, redux
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 10:55:19 +0000

Zack Weinberg <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

> I'm going to be horribly contrarian and say that I would rather see
> hex than any of the so-far proposed alternatives.  Hex, I know what
> that is, it's a big honking number.  I don't have intuitions about
> what nonsense strings (of any of the proposed variants) mean.

I don't know, I rather like the look of the strings in Nathan's
message.

It bothers me that these are going to vary between locales, so for a
large open source project you wouldn't be able to use them usefully in
email.  (Maybe the word lists could be arranged such that all strings
would be acceptable as input regardless of the local preferences.)

It also bothers me that this is merely an alternative form of a
meaningless id.  My preference would be hashes for the id, and
meaningful things for everyday use (even if they're only locally
valid---or rather, if they may identify different revisions in
different databases).  So I'd like some convenient way to express
revisions such as "2 revisions before the current one (on the current
branch)", and "the last revision committed by Graydon three days ago
(on the current branch)".