Re: [Monotone-devel] illegal instruction again [was: Re: monotone 0.11 t

From: Derek Scherger
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] illegal instruction again [was: Re: monotone 0.11 test failures]
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2004 19:52:52 -0600

graydon hoare wrote:
sorry, I thought I'd replied to this earlier. the problem you're having

No worries... I presume your inbox keeps you hopping!

is the same "illegal instruction" fault that others have run into, when the SSE2 code is built but you're not on an SSE2 platform. athlon's don't like SSE2. it seems my runtime detection of SSE2 doesn't work quite right, so you wind up executing it even though your hardware can't.

the way around this with 0.11 is awkward but I believe doable:

1. edit configure.ac and comment out this line

  AC_CHECK_HEADERS(emmintrin.h, [CXXFLAGS="$CXXFLAGS -msse2"])

2. run "autoreconf"
3. run "./configure && make"

That did the trick, thanks!

So now I can get through lots of the tests just fine, but I have a couple of different problems.

 21: communicating with a mail server             ok
 22: importing CVS files                          ok
 23: communicating with a depot through an http proxyok
 24: importing files with a internationalized namesFAILED (t_i18n_file.at:26)
 25: external unit test of the line merger        ok
 26: communicating with another monotone via netsync

Test 24 seems to fail, but I haven't consciously enabled i18n or anything so I'm not too worried about that.

Test 26 just seems to hang up and not come back... on a clean 0.11 source tree. Interestingly test 23 seems to indicate that it can communicate though?!?

Other than that things seem to be good... My hacked copy no longer clobbers files that are in the way when checking out to an existing directory so I've got a start on a patch for you.

BTW, do I need to do something to see logging output? I'm attempting to emit a message with the following, which I don't really understand very well and nothing seems to get printed.

+ L(F("file '%s' will not be over-written; preserving existing copy\n") %
p.string());

Derek