Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] mingw-w64 and mingw-cross-env

From: William
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] mingw-w64 and mingw-cross-env
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2012 12:02:20 +0100

Le 04/03/2012 11:13, Volker Grabsch a écrit :
William schrieb:
- mingw-cross-env is great because there are already hundreds of
already supported cross-compiled packages, and a nice tutorial to
get started. It is easy to use : download, then run "make"
- mingw-w64 is great because you can compile either 64 or 32 bits
windows binaries, and it is easy to switch from 32 to 64.
[...]
A merge of the projects seems not easy. [...]
There are already two plans in mingw-cross-env you should
know about, to avoid duplicate work.

First, we are indeed willing to switch from MinGW to MinGW-w64
even for 32-Bit, but there were some issues preventing us from
doing that. (see emails from Tony Theodore on mingw-cross-env-list
who analyzed that some time ago)

Second, we'll support a multi-target build system in the near
future. That means, mingw-cross-env will be able to build a
MinGW toolchain for 32-bit as well as a MinGW-w64 toolchain
for 64-bit. There may even be separate toolchains for
completely-shared-library and completely-static-library.

And there might even come an OSX cross toolchain, in which
case we'll have to think about renaming the "mingw-cross-env"
project to something more generic.

Unfortunately, I haven't yet got around to evaluate the
existing code (especially Tony's experimental work) and to
adjust our main Makefile accordingly.

However, I'll take this discussion as a sign to hurry up
with that, so we'll be able to integrate works on 64-bit,
shared-library-build and OSX-builds in the near future.

Merging those forks back into mingw-cross-env is IMHO
definitely the way to go.

Regards,
Volker

Thanks for your reply.

I would appreciate if you would give me a link to Tony Theodore work and emails on mingw-cross-env-list so that I can make a point on this. Especially, see the issues.

my work consisted in :
- removing packages dbus-1-fixes.patch, gcc-1-mingw-float.patch, gcc-2-carwin-no-pie.patch, gcc-gmp.mk, gcc-mpc.mk, gcc-mpfr.mk, mingwrt.mk, w32api-2-directx-additions-for-qt.patch, w32api.mk - creating packages gcc-core.mk, mingw-w64-headers.mk, mingw-w64-crt.mk (build mingw-w64)
- updating packages binutils.mk, dbus.mk, gcc.mk, glib.mk, gtk2.mk

With this, I can compile freeglut and gtk2 (and also atk, cairo, dbus, fontconfig, freetype, gcc-core, gettext, jpeg, libpng, pcre, tiff, expat, freeglut, gdk-pixbuf, glib, jasper, libiconv, pango, pixman, zlib)

With this, by changing in the Makefile "TARGET = x86_64-w64-mingw32" by "i686-w64-mingw32", it compiles the same libs for 32 bits targets.

The best thing to do, IMHO, would be to have a separate branch for mingw-w64 (I mean, separate src directory and *.mk files). Generally, it seems that packages look very similar, apart from the first ones. Then, progressively, this new branch would be more updated than the "old" one.

Regards,
William