Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] mingw-w64 and mingw-cross-env

From: LM
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] mingw-w64 and mingw-cross-env
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 12:37:10 -0400

Will toss in my two cents on this, just to do some brainstorming.

Volker Grabsch wrote:
>1) All targets will use the same version (the same source tarball)
>  of a package.
>
>2) All target will have the same set of dependencies $(PKG)_DEPS.
>
>3) The patches will be used by all targets, there are no
>  target-specific patches.

I keep thinking 2 is going to be an issue.  There are times when
building for one system requires completely different dependencies
than building for another.  If the dependency isn't available for the
target, you've indicated there isn't a problem.  However, what if a
dependency is available, but not desired in that platform specific
build?  It may not be an issue with limited targets, but if number of
targets grows, so does the possibility of this happening.  I wish I
could think of some concrete examples, but I'm coming up blank at the
moment.

By the way, I really like the design ideas behind 1 and 3.  Think that
will work well for a multiple target environment.

>  So all in all, I'm proposing the following target names:
>   i686-static-mingw
>   i686-dynamic-mingw
>   x86_64-static-mingw
>   i86_64-dynamic-mingw
>   x86_64-static-darwin9
>   x86_64-dynamic-darwin9

If you're using this on the configure command line (like most
Slackware packages do), this could be a problem.  Most configure
scripts wouldn't recognize these targets and would probably require
modifications.  If this is only used in the file structure and not
sent to configure, it should work okay.