Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] gcc 4.5 error

From: Tony Theodore
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] gcc 4.5 error
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 00:09:00 +1000

On 19 April 2010 23:12, Volker Grabsch <address@hidden> wrote:
> Tony Theodore <address@hidden> schrieb:
>> For newer gcc versions, mingw-w64 seems to be on the bleeding edge.
>> I've been experimenting with it on and off, but so far can't get past
>> building simple projects. The larger libraries (Boost, Qt) fail for
>> reasons that are hard to isolate between gcc, 64 bit issues, and cross
>> building problems.
>
> Have you tried to build 32-bit binaries with mingw-w64? I.e., is there
> any "-m32" switch or similar?
>
> Is there a possibility to build a "32-bit-only" or "32-bit-by-default"
> compiler with mingw-w64? If so, we could try to switch to that one,
> and sort out 64-bit issues later.

Yes, there's two targets - x86_64-w64-mingw32 (can be multilib) and
i686-w64-mingw32. With the multilib, you have to do a lot of double
builds with "-m32" and it's not always obvious where to install
libraries.

Your point is a good one, focussing on the 32-bit only version first
will cause the least change. I'll see if I can find time this week to
look at it again.