lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] forbid local file browsing?

From: Stef Caunter
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] forbid local file browsing?
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2007 17:05:40 -0500 (EST)

Was going to say, even if the alias worked there would be too many ways to get around it, so a recompile (check ./configure --help|more) is the way to go.

It's not particularly on topic, but chrooting users is the preferred way to restrict access to the file system.

I believe the options to build lynx without file system browsing or jumping out to a shell were for public access systems where lynx was a raison d'etre; others will have personal recollections.

Does your system just provide lynx, or is it a regular shell access box?

The /etc/passwd file is a userlist that has to be readable for anything to work properly; your users are going to see it from the shell without other measures, but it probably doesn't matter.

__Stef
http://caunter.ca/contact.html

I think you'd have to build lynx without dired support.
The restriction seems to only prevent them from using the file menu.