lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev download difficulties

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev download difficulties
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 18:26:10 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 25 Feb 2000, William Martins wrote:

> Lynx help menu using the Kermit text files option. I am using the
> Terminal program installed on Windows 3.1. All the setups and parameters,
> I feel sure, are correct.
>
>    I get as far as the prompt: "Return to your local Kermit and give a
> RECEIVE command."  This is followed by "Kermit Ready To Send" and a
> couple of strings of control codes - all of which, incidentally, show
> up in the text file I am trying to copy to.  I feel Iam close but not
> quite there.  I've tried everything (except drop a dime in the floppy
> drive) to download these files, to no avail.

I still have Windows 3.11. I looked at the Terminal program (which I
have never used). It appears that the kermit protocol is supported only
under binary downloads, not text. Most kermit implementations that don't
come from the kermit project are poorly done. To do this with Terminal,
make sure that SETTINGS has kermit as the choice for binary download.
Then use the kermit binary option to download. When it says to give the
receive command, click TRANSFERS, then receive binary.

I would stronly advise, however, that if you want to do kermit
transfers, that you get the DOS MSKERMIT program from the
kermit project. It is free (although documentation is not). See
"http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/mskermit.html";. Note, that for
MSKERMIT 3.15, you must download the 3.14 and 3.15 packages, unpack
3.14, then unpack 3.15 over it, overwriting files.
                           Doug
__
Doug Kaufman
Internet: address@hidden