lynx-dev

lynx-dev Lynx installation

From: David Silverman
Subject: lynx-dev Lynx installation
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 03:21:55 -0500

Dear Lynx development,

    I have downloaded Lynx version 2.8.2 rel 1 from
http://www.fdisk.com/doslynx/lynxport.htm for use on my Windows 95
operating system.  However, I do not understand completely the
instructions for installation on my system.  I have found that
installing a free program downloaded from the net on my machine can
cause inextricable tangles in the operating system, if everything is not
done properly.  I do not want to risk my system by installing Lynx
without knowing exactly what I'm doing.  It looks like a Lynx.bat file
needs to be run before starting Lynx, and this file needs to be adjusted
to my file system.  Also Path statements may need to be made, although I
don't quite remember how to do them appropriately -- I don't want to
spoil the existing paths for programs I have already running.  Also, a
configuration file needs to be set up -- the .cfg file included in this
download is quite large and seems to require expert knowledge to
manipulate.  Also, I have to be able to emulate a VTF-100 terminal.  I
am unsure about all these factors...
    Is there a detailed, step-by-step explanation of how to install Lynx
on a Windows 95 system?  Or is there some simple, automatic way I could
install it, without having to tweak various files?  I would appreciate
any help anyone can offer.  I would like to try Lynx on my computer,
since it takes so long for Internet Explorer 5.01 to load web pages -- I
would love to try Lynx, even if it means sacrificing some graphical
content.  Thanks again for your help.

    David Silverman
    address@hidden