lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Re: Who Is Using Lynx

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: Who Is Using Lynx
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 20:11:48 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 11 Nov 1999, Philip Webb wrote:

> legally, anyone can use it free of charge: the only restriction with Lynx is
> that if you do any development of your own you must publish the source,

This is wrong.  You are only required to make the source available if you
distribute.  If you don't distribute, there is no requirement to "publish
the source".

Please don't spread misinformation like this, Philip.  If you cannot
summarize the license in one sentence (and I doubt anyone can), then don't
try.  ("the only restriction"???).

> [...]  your company would be free
> to develop your own code to do that, but you would be expected
> to make the source available for the public user community.

Expected - probably.  Required - no.

> > Owing to free distribution, we do not have good records who is using Lynx.
> > There is anecdotal evidence of Microsoft employees using it on the job
> > because they wanted to get their job done.
>
> certainly, M$ employees have sent friendly messages to lynx-dev,
> inquiring or contributing to the effort in some way.

URL please?

I already see this growing from "anecdotal evidence" to "certainly...",
are we witnessing a myth in the making here?

Besides, I don't think it quite fits the bill for "commercial institutions
... using Lynx ... in any type of critical environment".

  Klaus