lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev lynx and shopping carts?

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx and shopping carts?
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 1999 23:38:16 -0800 (PST)

On Sun, 7 Nov 1999, karen lewellen wrote:

> i hope i ask this question in a fashion that make sens.  I am not certain if
> it is lynx, or the site i am using, but when i try to add an item to my
> shopping cart at an on-line store, i get an error message.  something to the
> effect of " this client does not allow for..." i believe it is http erls,

Many of the shopping sites require secure (i.e. encrypted)
connections. This is typically with secure http (https:// urls). I
know that you have been using the DOS binary from me. That does not
support https. I haven't tried to compile with SSL support for my
own use with DOS, and I don't know if anyone else has succeeding in
doing this. Unfortunately in the US (where I live), patent, export,
and licensing considerations make it impossible to distribute legally
a binary of lynx that is enabled for https. If you have a unix shell
account, you can build your own lynx with https included, or you can
build a SSL daemon to act as your https proxy. In the US, free use
of the RSA encryption code is allowed only for non-commercial uses.
Because it is not simple to build your own SSL enabled lynx or SSL
daemon, many use Netscape or Internet Explorer from a Windows machine
when they need to use one of these web sites. Some ISPs apparently
have SSL enabled lynx available for their users. I am unsure as to how
they do this legally.
                              Doug
__
Doug Kaufman