lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev lynx and shopping carts?

From: Lloyd G. Rasmussen
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx and shopping carts?
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 1999 10:05:40 -0500

Most likely they are using Secure Sockets Layer, an encryption technique
which is supported by the https: protocol.  Most copies of Lynx do not have
SSL compiled in, due to U.S. export restrictions on encryption programs and
the fact that part of the technology is licensed from RSA Systems, and with
a free program such as Lynx there is no way to incorporate commercial code.
 From time to time, some online systems have had SSL-enabled copies of Lynx
available for their users.  You should keep in mind, when using one of
these, that your credit card and purchasing information is not encrypted
until the copy of Lynx gets it, and your information could travel a long,
circuitous and varying route through the internet before your ISP does the
encryption.

At 11:02 PM 11/7/99 +0500, you wrote:

>hi all.
>i hope i ask this question in a fashion that make sens.  I am not certain if
>it is lynx, or the site i am using, but when i try to add an item to my
>shopping cart at an on-line store, i get an error message.  something to the
>effect of " this client does not allow for..." i believe it is http erls,
>but that does not seem sensible.  is there an external program that may
>allow for this, or is it just the site i am using? and, if it makes a
>difference which copy of lynx i am using, may i ask what the difference is,
>not related to my operating system?
>thanks,
>karen
>Net-Tamer V 1.11.2 - Test Drive

Lloyd Rasmussen, Senior Staff Engineer
National Library Service f/t Blind and Physically Handicapped
Library of Congress    (202) 707-0535  <address@hidden>
<http://www.loc.gov/nls/>
HOME:  <address@hidden>   <http://lras.home.sprynet.com