lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.2pre.7

From: dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.2pre.7
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 05:44:50 -0400 (EDT)

> 26-May-99 18:50 Doug Kaufman wrote:
>
> Hmm, Doug.
>
> > I still haven't had a chance to evaluate the new files, but I do have
> > some comments about these exchanges. It seems that we are drifting
>
> "I haven't read the book by have an opinion..."
> Let we include this files into pre-release and you got a chance to look at
> it!

Frankly, adding those files to pre-release will only increase the time
before release.  (And I'm opposed to including generated files without having
a stable/portable version of the tools used to generate them - I thought I'd
made that clear during the past month).

> Further actions may be to improve HTML layout slightly or remove files before
> the actual release. So I am confused with our "battle", 40K in a zipped
> distribution or in gzipped help is not a problem. There is nothing terrible
> difficult to remove these files after a couple of pre-releases if we find
> them
> redundant.

the basic issue is that you're proposing adding maintenance effort - each
time someone wants to modify lynx.cfg, we'll have a delay while it is also
applied to the parallel html'ized version.

better to think carefully about this and propose (in 2.8.3) a format that
can generate both the flat lynx.cfg as well as the html files.

> As for changing lynx.cfg format in the future I am conservative here -
> lynx is not a windowing system, it should operate in a batch mode also
> so correction of lynx.cfg with a editor (not within lynx) still not
> unusual.

yes (I expect most users to edit lynx.cfg - it's all in one place, easily
readable)

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden