[Top][All Lists]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]


From: dickey
Subject: Re:
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 12:37:01 -0500 (EST)

> >right.  At some point (after Thanksgiving) I'll work on moving some of the 
> >repeated strings into LYMessages_en.h (besides the maintenance issues, 
> >reducing the number of files with strings may make this work with Solaris' 
> >gettext - that's one of the problems). 
> I was working hard to remove the "en" file beacuse I thought 
> it conflicted with the operation of gettext, in that identical 
> messages map to a single catalog entry, and therefore to 
> a single translation (per language). Using macros may save some space in 
> the source code, but I felt it was more useful to see the full messages 
> in context of the code when doing translation work. 

I understood that - but I wrote a script to workaround (the xgettext utility
is reluctant to read preprocessor statements).  xgettext also does not like
long command lines, and though the manpage says, it does not (on the systems
I tried ;-) accept a list of filenames from stdin.  I tried using the GNU
xgettext with the solaris gettext function, but that doesn't work.

When I look at this again, I'll see if it looks practical to move enough
strings into LYMessages_en.h so that the command line will fit in Solaris'
xgettext limits.  If that works out, we may be able to build against either
version of gettext.

Thomas E. Dickey

reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]