lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] 1.4.0 -> 1.4.1 or 2.0.0

From: Sergio R. Caprile
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] 1.4.0 -> 1.4.1 or 2.0.0
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2016 12:41:49 -0300

Hi Simon,
I did find the RTOS SDK, but I'm an old bare-metal die-hard. I need to keep the AT commands too, and that seems to be supported on the non-OS SDK (but I didn't dive too deep). I also found some guys that have run some diffs and created some patches, and then provide a newer stack. That is a "cheaper" alternative. This beast has little RAM and no ROM, it pulls code out of an SPI flash to RAM or to an execution cache. Those fancy attributes are to put functions on the execution cache, freeing valuable RAM for heavy use stuff. What worries me are those os_ prefixed functions, the chip has been crafted to work as a wifi machine and basically other use is robbing processor to its main function, so fooling around with something not provided by the manufacturer can easily turn to a nightmare. Not that what they provide can't... but seems to be somewhat more "tested". I think I'll stay with the stock stack until there is a real need for production-quality code (and someone to be charged for its generation).
Thanks for your comments!!!