lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] 1.4.0 -> 1.4.1 or 2.0.0

From: Sylvain Rochet
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] 1.4.0 -> 1.4.1 or 2.0.0
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2016 22:40:36 +0200

Hi Simon,

On Mon, Aug 08, 2016 at 10:17:15PM +0200, address@hidden wrote:
> Sylvain Rochet wrote:
> >Humm, I would have thought that a revision release didn't change the API
> >at all,
>
> Thinking about it again, I guess it was an ABI change, not an API change.
> For the target of lwIP (at that time?) keeping the API stable was enough.

Well, that was the question :-), whether we should go to API or ABI
stable, from my point of view, keeping the API stable is well enough.

> And remember the API does *not* include struct layout (not event struct
> members, since users should access the structs via defines, not the
> members).

Indeed.

> I don't think that changes with 2.0.0 unless there are strong request
> to keep the ABI stable.

I'm not willing too, either. Keeping the API stable only require contrib
examples to build and work without change, keeping the ABI stable
require a check that exported symbols didn't change at all.

Sylvain