lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Deatach LWIP Webserver

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Deatach LWIP Webserver
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2010 16:39:23 +0200

 Luis Rossi wrote:
For sure they are, but usually a embedded OS uses a big footprint and lots of RAM (assuming i am going to use a device with 512KB of Flash and 32-64 KB of RAM. Any sugestion?
My suggestion would be to not use sockets in such a device. The sockets API is designed for threaded (i.e. sequential) programming. You either need an OS for it or you need a socket-library that can run OS-less. I doubt these two options differ much regarding RAM/ROM size.

On the other hand, 512KB flash is rather big: for an embedded OS, some 10th KB of flash and some KB RAM should be enough.

However, if you fear running out of flash and RAM, why not simply use lwIP in the OS-less mode (NO_SYS==1) and use lwIP's webserver?

Simon