lwip-users

[lwip-users] Re: [lwip] The future of lwIP

From: Paul Sheer
Subject: [lwip-users] Re: [lwip] The future of lwIP
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2003 00:46:52 -0000

> > >Why? (Just curious. I'm only a member there, not a project admin.)
> > >
> > http://www.fsfeurope.org/news/article2001-10-20-01.en.html
>
> I manage a project on SourceForge and found it works pretty well.
> What's your gripe?

well, article2001-10-20-01 talks mainly about licensing issues

sourceforge sux because:

  - it is painfully slow to use from south africa. i mean
    to the point of being completely UNusable.

  - there are so many things you have to click on, simple
    administration tasks can literally take hours.

  - you cannot script anything - you HAVE to use the web
    interface. this makes administering multiple projects
    a complete nightmare.

  - the interface has orders of magnitude more links than
    you are ever going to use. (An ergonomic principle of
    CGI is that you have only one link per URL.) learnig
    to use sourceforge is a pain.

  - you are not allowed to EVER delete anything you
    mistakenly uploaded.

  - you get ZERO support because there are 10000 other
    users

  - YOU CANNOT EVER DEREGESTER A SOURCEFORGE PROJECT.

It is important to look at the features really need:
a mailing list, a cvs server, a web+ftp site where we can
do automatic uploads.

But I think lets argue this off list and then report
back to lwip when we are finished flaming :-)

-paul