lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] [task #7136] Centralize mempool settings in separate file

From: Jonathan Larmour
Subject: [lwip-devel] [task #7136] Centralize mempool settings in separate file
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2007 05:42:15 +0000

>> I think we could/should remove from opts.h and lwipopts.h all
>> MEMP_NUM_xxx and defined them directly in the same file.
>
> I have removed all MEMP_NUM_* from memp.def and changed them to
> the opt.h default values. I agree that it is better to keep the
> pool settings inside this file, and will make lwipopts.h and
> opt.h shorter and simpler.

Just my opinion, but I don't think that's a good idea. Firstly the idea, I
thought, was to keep opt.h pristine, and the user only overrides what they
want to change in lwipopts.h. So you can have different applications requiring
different configs, but built from the same lwIP sources. This way they'd have
to change the original memp.def too. Secondly, I think it's better that a user
can find all the options they may want to tune in the same place, rather than
in multiple different files - especially not one that looks like code. If you
want to split up opt.h, I recommend making new files in a different
subdirectory like include/lwip/config/ so at least it's clear that that place
has the places with user-settable options. But it should still be overrideable
from a single lwipopts.h.

One other good reason is that there are dependencies between the options, and
things we should be sanity checking in a debug build (but don't yet): e.g.
MEMP_NUM_RAW_PCB depends on LWIP_RAW, MEMP_NUM_UDP_PCB depends on LWIP_UDP,
etc. There are some constraints we don't check at present but should e.g.
MEMP_NUM_TCP_SEG should be at least as big as TCP_SND_QUEUELEN,
MEMP_NUM_NETCONN should be at most the sum of MEMP_NUM_{TCP,RAW,UDP}_PCB,
MEMP_NUM_NETBUF should be at most the sum of MEMP_NUM_PBUF_POOL and
MEMP_NUM_PBUF, and so on.

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?7136>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/