Re: [Ltib] Programming for an ltib system

From: Stuart Hughes
Subject: Re: [Ltib] Programming for an ltib system
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2011 09:16:56 +0100

On 20/10/11 16:21, Magnus Therning wrote:
On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 09:44, Stuart Hughes<address@hidden>  wrote:
Qt is horrible to package, but if I recall qtopia.spec deals with a similar
situation when it builds the host tools that are needed (once).  Take a look
at dist/lfs-5.1/qtopia/qtopia.spec, maybe that helps?
Yes indeed, Qt is a horrible package ;)

I don't think the situation is similar to qtopia though, since the
tools built by Qt are needed by all subsequent packages that use Qt.
This means I need to put them somewhere on the $PATH (I settled for
${TOP}/bin), and I also need to install a few data files needed by
those tools (I settled for ${TOP}/bin here too). It seems to work all
right, but it's far from elegant.

Am I correct in my assessment that this scenario is rather poorly
supported by ltib (and probably every other rootfs builder out there
too)?

/M

Hi Magnus,

It's worth taking a look, I believe qtopia used to build a whole pile of host packages and cache/stuff them in the users' home directory (? can't remember) so that subsequent builts etc could use them (for example moc and friends). I think the build systems are similar. Might be a few clues.

Your approach is reasonable. There's not magic bullet here unfortunately as you have to trade off whether the tools you built can be shared across projects (lets say you have another BSP that has a different set of options/versions of the same tools). This will drive where you save these.

I'm not sure about other rootfs builders. For ltib, the approach for host support packages is to build them and put them under /opt/ltib as rpm packages, controlled by their own private rpm database. So you could create a qt-host-package.spec file and build this and install it as an ltib host support package (check out ./ltib --hostcf). Doing this would mean it would be common for everyone on that host, which may or maynot be okay for you.

Regards, Stuart