lout-users

Re: next release of Lout is approaching

From: KHMan
Subject: Re: next release of Lout is approaching
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 17:38:36 +0800

Remo Dentato wrote:
On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 11:01 PM, Jeff Kingston <address@hidden> wrote:
I have just started preparing the next version of Lout, which
I hope to release a few weeks from now.

Hi Jeff, this is a very good news!

I have just one suggestions: would you incorporate into the official
distribution, KHMan's changes to compile Lout on Windows? Just
supporting mingw would be ok, one could have a "mingw" entry in the
makefile.

I think it would ease the adoption of Lout by Windows users.

I'm a bit ambivalent about this; the changes I did to do the MinGW compilation includes making a Win32-specific call to get the current directory path (and even then, it makes a non-Unicode call.) So I did not submit the changes for consideration because I think it's a really ugly thorn among nice portable code.

(The other bit is the PDF destination targeting code; which I have not done a single thing on so far. It's a little intrusive, and I think a rewrite would be good, because I did that whilst being an inexperienced C coder a long time ago. Any takers? Probably too late for this coming version...)

Instead I would suggest that: (1) let the MinGW fixes stay as its own custom version, and (2) check or tweak to see that Lout can compile and run on Cygwin. Then maybe drop (1) and point to (2).

Also, since Lout may write to its library directory, it may run afoul of Vista security rules, if someone deign to install it in a certain way. There is no quick and easy way to redo the Unixy Lout to run the Windows way good and proper, so I consider the MinGW command-line version an evolutionary dead end. If I were to do all of this again, I would have stuck to Cygwin... :-)

I think Cygwin would be a better in the long term rather than DOS Prompt. Even I hardly use DOS Prompt any more, it's usually a Msys shell or a Cygwin shell. DOS Prompt is more and more a thing of the past on Win32 for non-'IT admin' users. Being less of a novice programmer now, I would now want to keep project files up to date using at least a makefile, and for this I would immediately prefer to be using bash on Msys or Cygwin.

At least Cygwin on Win32, at the moment, has a secure future (better still with Unicode support coming in 1.7) and a healthy community with good and proper shell scripting, and can accommodate Lout most easily.

Just my 2 cents. Other views welcome.

--
Cheers,
Kein-Hong Man (esq.)