lout-users

Re: next release of Lout is approaching (mingw vs cygwin)

From: KHMan
Subject: Re: next release of Lout is approaching (mingw vs cygwin)
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 21:01:27 +0800

Valeriy E. Ushakov wrote:
On Sat, Aug 16, 2008 at 18:04:01 +0800, KHMan wrote:
If anyone has experience using Lout on Cygwin, let us know if you
want and I will put the material up on a new wiki page later.

Last time I tried (which, admittedly, was *years* ago), lout's use of
ftell confused the hell out of cygwin unless you was careful with CLRF
options, but IIRC, Jeff changed db files to be read in binary mode, so
that probably no longer matters.

Roger that, will take a look at that and your older posting below.

I'd prefer a "native" win32 port compiled with whatever is the
"native" version of gcc for windows, lcc-win32, or with the free
variety of Visual Studio (Express, or whatever microsoft's fancy
marketing name for it is).  I don't see a need to tie lout for windows
to cygwin.

Of course, "native" is desirable, but only in a more perfect world, like the Linux kernel where lots of developer resources is available and Linus et al. can even afford to be choosy or insulting to the large pool of Linux kernel developers.

But from my position, the our problem is this: Small FLOSS projects like Lout have very little manpower resources. I make my decisions based on very limited availability of manpower for small projects like Lout. Transitioning to Cygwin is manpower-efficient.

And you won't catch me using VS... it's at least a 460MB download plus the SDK, and I still don't want to touch it (I already have it installed, but urggghh...) I'd rather use MinGW because using VS will be a significant commitment. One wonders why there are still many people using the old Visual C++ after so long... In a nutshell, I'd much more rather stick to fat-free Unix-style tools with simple and clean config needs.

Lout is primarily a source release only, and Lout is currently more or less in maintenance mode. I would rather use my time for better purposes than maintain a legacy binary release. Someone who releases a binary release has to answer for it (or not, but that wouldn't be nice) and I don't see myself maintaining MinGW binaries forever.

So unless someone seriously wants to take over the MinGW port, transitioning to Cygwin is best for everyone; I no longer need to make those binary releases, and users should be able to compile and use a Cygwin-based Lout with a minimum of effort and fuss -- their toolchain won't be in any jeopardy even if a meteor wipes out South East Asia.

In the end, talk is just talk, and in order to get things done, people must step up. The primary constraint here is scarcity of developer resources. Also, what's best in the long term when faced with this scarcity. This means it may not be possible to give prospective users the best possible outcomes. While we fail to do the best for users, the second best solution may be one that is the most sustainable in the long term.

Google has found me this old mail of mine, that still pretty
accurately reflects my thoughts on the matter (ignore the part about
ftell, that should be fixed now, I think)

http://lists.planix.com/pipermail/lout-users/2000q1/001726.html

Thanks, will read up on this.

--
Cheers,