lout-users

Re: Problems with Polish letters

From: Valeriy E. Ushakov
Subject: Re: Problems with Polish letters
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 04:07:06 +0400

On Tue, Sep 12, 2000 at 01:47:53 +0200, address@hidden wrote:

> > But be warned that unless you have fonts with real latin2 glyphs you
> > will need to tweak font/*+ files to add composites for polish letters.
>
> The fonts distributed with Ghostscript 6.0 (I don't know about
> earlier versions) have all the Polish glyphs defined (aogonek,
> eogonek, lslash, zdotaccent, etc. -- even uogonek, which doesn't
> exist in Polish).  It is enough to supply the proper encoding vector
> to use them.

URW fonts distributed with GS 5.50 don't have those extra glyphs.
Even with 6.x there are valid reasons to _not_ rely on those glyphs
being present.  E.g. I prefer to use Adobe's native fonts with GS
since: 1) they are hinted better; 2) I know what to expect from my
printer.

The 2) is particularly important.  Consider poor fellow who can view
his 200+ pages thesis ok - but when he sends the job to the printer he
suddenly gets his thesis with all those characters dropped.

SY, Uwe