lout-users

defs problem

From: David Middleton
Subject: defs problem
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 16:35:26 -0500

Despite having used lout for some time I've only just started
trying to make use of the "mydefs" file to keep some useful
definitions together.  It's causing me some trouble.

Consider the following two examples:

i)  A lout file:

@SysInclude {doc}
@Doc @Text @Begin

@Display {test}

@Display {test}

@End @Text

The output in this case (from lout -p, same effect with ps output) is:

                                      test

                                      test

ii) A mydefs file:

import @DocumentLayout
def @Title right x { @Display x }

and a lout file:

@SysInclude {doc}
@Doc @Text @Begin

@Title {test}

@Title {test}

@End @Text

In this case I get the following output

         test                           test

Why the difference?

Another query:  when I put multiple definitions in the same file
why is it necessary to put an "import @DocumentLayout" line before each.
For example, lout complains about

import @DocumentLayout
def @Title right x { @Display x }
def @SubTitle right x { @Display x }

but accepts

import @DocumentLayout
def @Title right x { @Display x }
import @DocumentLayout
def @SubTitle right x { @Display x }

Thanks in advance for any insight.  I'm using Basser Lout v3.10 on
Solaris 2.5.

David Middleton
Dept. Fisheries & Wildlife              http://turtle.gis.umn.edu/people/dajm/
University of Minnesota                 email:  address@hidden
200 Hodson Hall, 1980 Folwell Ave,      tel:    US + 612 625 8178
St. Paul, MN 55108, USA                 fax:    US + 612 625 5299