lout-users

Re: defs problem

From: Jeff Kingston
Subject: Re: defs problem
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 1997 12:11:08 +1000

The fact that @Display and its kind are defined using macros is one
of Lout's greatest problems.  David Middleton is far from being the
first to fall foul of it.  Many years ago I struggled and struggled
to keep macros out of the language altogether, but I was not able
to implement @Display and @List in a way that was convenient for the
end user without them.  The result is that "real" definitions,
created with the "def" keyword, fit perfectly in any context; but
the rest, defined using "macro", create confusion whenever they are
used outside the context that they are expected to go into.

Jeff