loongson-buildfarm

Re: [loongson-buildfarm] a possible list of things to do

From: avr
Subject: Re: [loongson-buildfarm] a possible list of things to do
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2009 16:53:19 +0100

On Thu, Jan 01, 2009 at 09:22:53PM +1030, Karl Goetz wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Dec 2008 09:38:27 +0000
> Paul O'Malley - gnu's not unix - <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Just an idea:
> >
> > One:
> > On the first machine add the sources.
>
> I've been looking around, and I think the Loongson is a MIPS chip,
> *NOT* a MIPSEL. If your making a Debian mirror (as I'm about to), be
> careful to select the correct name.
> The Loongson Wiki page lead me to that conclusion:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loongson#Features

for the loongson 2f under features it reads:
"# Little endian MIPS III-compatible ISA"
The "Little endian" puts the "el" in mipsel. mips and mipsel should only
differ in endianess. iirc there are even mips chips that can run in both modes
depending
on initialization.

> > Do a build of the native kernel to get a benchmark of how long it
> > would take if we have to do a series of changes and a rebuild.
>
> If an emulator will emulate this chip well(enough), it would probably
> be worth getting a native+emulated build times.

Lemote already created a version of gxemul capable of emulating the loongson
2e. Hopefully
they will extend it to cover the 2f chip after which it could be used for
running
an emulated install, making it easier to create compile farms and such.

        friendly,
        Andreas