loongson-buildfarm

Re: [loongson-buildfarm] a possible list of things to do

From: Karl Goetz
Subject: Re: [loongson-buildfarm] a possible list of things to do
Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2009 21:22:53 +1030

On Sat, 27 Dec 2008 09:38:27 +0000
Paul O'Malley - gnu's not unix - <address@hidden> wrote:

> Just an idea:
>
> One:
> On the first machine add the sources.

I've been looking around, and I think the Loongson is a MIPS chip,
*NOT* a MIPSEL. If your making a Debian mirror (as I'm about to), be
careful to select the correct name.

The Loongson Wiki page lead me to that conclusion:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loongson#Features

> Do a build of the native kernel to get a benchmark of how long it
> would take if we have to do a series of changes and a rebuild.

If an emulator will emulate this chip well(enough), it would probably
be worth getting a native+emulated build times.
these are the only stats i can contribute:
1x 2.4GHz 32bit P4c with Hyperthreading - Around 24 hours to complete a
Builder run (about 20 hours for Linux)
8x 3.2GHz 64bit Xeons - 4 hours for a complete Builder run.
1x aprox 350mhz 32bit PPC - 30-40 hours for a Builder run. (Old G3 apple
workstation)

> Two:
> Create on one of the other two machines a web searchable full source
> tree, for people to go over for freedom verification.

This bit is "easy" as far as packages go. (its just another package
archive).

> Three:
> Make Tea or install the third box as somewhere to test new kernels
> and friends.

This point should be "And or" :)
kk

--