lmi

Re: [lmi] newline in C++ variables

From: Vaclav Slavik
Subject: Re: [lmi] newline in C++ variables
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 17:15:26 +0200

On Tue, 2009-09-15 at 14:27 +0000, Greg Chicares wrote:
> and I suppose CDATA or 'xml:space="preserve"' might let us use
> literal newlines; but that makes me kind of queasy, if only
> because of my limited knowledge.
>
> Or we could designate a paragraph-separator (e.g., html ¶)
> and pass every footnote through an xsl routine to translate it
> into separate 'fo:block' elements. But separate paragraphs are
> rarely needed, and I hesitate to impose extra xsl overhead.

If you could get
 or literal newline through the pipeline down to
the FO file, they you could do with single fo:block and
linefeed-treatment property:

  <fo:block padding-top="1em" linefeed-treatment="preserve">
    <xsl:value-of select="$scalars/NewYorkJuvenileFootnote"/>
  </fo:block>

I.e. either of these works:

  <fo:block linefeed-treatment="preserve">
    line one&#10;line two
  </fo:block>

  <fo:block linefeed-treatment="preserve">
    line one
    line two
  </fo:block>

But &#13; doesn't (with Apache FOP at least) and judging from what Wendy
wrote, getting &#10; through the pipeline won't be easy...

Regards,
Vaclav