Re: A couple of questions about Edition Engraver

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: A couple of questions about Edition Engraver
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2018 12:42:03 -0500

Hi Stefano,

> I am undecided on what the best interface for it would be though, since as
> Urs already mentioned there are trade-offs with each possibility. I too think
> that a discussion should be had about that, to see what use-cases and needs
> arise. How do you usually do that here? Do you make a new thread asking users
> for feedback?

I personally think we could just keep chatting here…?

Other than Jan-Peter, I may be the person who has used the EE the most often
for the most scores (well over 50 by now). Here are a couple of thoughts, based
on my experiences:

1. Use of \editionModList and other convenience "compressors" can, in many
cases, make for maintenance difficulties. I often find myself scanning back and
forth through my (sometimes quite large!) edition file to try to see why a
certain grob is behaving a certain way, only to discover a "hidden" mod in some
\editionModList. Putting all the compressed mods together [at the top of the
edition file] helps to some degree, but it's not a silver bullet.

2. Single mods are definitely easier to "find and replace" on than compressed
mods.

3. The most redundant stuff is the "wrapper" stuff (\editionMod edition-ref
context-ref), so a simplified way of

4. Things would be way easier if the EE (and/or Frescobaldi) had a method to
highlight (colour-ing the grobs?) all mods, and a linking method to navigate to
the correct spot in the edition file. There was an example of this [colouring
part] some time ago, but I don't know if it was "taken to the goal line"; it's
worth looking at.

In terms of use cases, I can pull a bunch of concrete ones from my current
engravings, if that would be helpful. Let me know!

Best,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info